Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,

Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,
You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Writing Tips: Part 1: Section F

Writing Tips
Part 1
Section F: Mystery
(If you want to read the genre posts, the links are in the last writing tips section)

The last genre I will speaking of is "Mystery." Mystery is a story that resolves around something strange that has happened and the characters taking steps to figure out what caused it. Sometimes books in the his genre will include a detective or a few individuals trying to solve the mystery. Mystery is most often some sort of crime- whether murder, thievery, etc. Sometimes the crime is an everyday occurrence and sometimes they are supernatural in nature.
Mystery can be divived into many categories such as - traditional mystery, legal thriller, medical thriller, cozy mystery, police procedural, and hardboiled.
Some early novels in this genre are-
Das Fraulein von Scuderi by E.T.A Hoffmann
The Murders in the Ru Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe
The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
The Sherlock Holmes novels (read "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and it was really good)
The Hardy Boys series by Edward Stratemeyer (Franklin W. Dixon)
The Nancy Drew series by Edward Stratemeyer (Carolyn Keene)
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

So now that I've finished my discussion on genres I will be moving on to other important things to know about writing. Hope these posts have helped you understand genres a bit better.
Have a good day and May the Force be with you :)
Shena Tokala (Maegen)

2 comments:

  1. Cool, this is one of my favorite genres! I used to read a lot of Nancy Drew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I read the first two Nancy Drew books a couple of years ago. Mystery is really good; I especially "The Hound of the Baskersviles" and some other books I can't think of at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete