Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,

Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,
You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you

Saturday, March 17, 2012

"Revenge" Review



WARNING SPOILERS. To start off I'd like to say, as I did last week, that I don't consider Darth Maul's return as canon and I went into this episode with that mindset; hoping to just enjoy the episode without connecting it to the overall saga. To me, Obi-Wan killed Maul on Naboo, became the first Jedi to defeat and kill a Sith in a thousand years, and that is the end of it.




I appear to be once again in the minority in what I think of the episode(sigh); I liked parts of it but other parts of it really bothered me. I'll tell you more about that later on in the post. Though, I'd like to say, I liked this episode better than the last three. But to be honest, I really don't know what I think of the episode :/ And word of warning, this post will be a bit of a rant.

The episode revolves around four central characters; Maul, Savage, Obi-Wan, and Ventress. Savage takes Maul to Dathomir where Talzin heals him, giving him new legs. Once he gets his mind and legs back, Maul is driven by a fierce desire for revenge against Obi-Wan Kenobi for cutting him in half. To get Obi-Wan to come meet him face to face, Maul kills people in a poor village and contacts the Council telling them that if Obi-Wan doesn't come face him, he will kill more people. Obi-Wan, being a good, kind Jedi decides to go after Maul to prevent more slaughter.



The Good: For the most part, I enjoyed Obi-Wan in his episode(though I always enjoy seeing him). I loved how well he worked with Ventress(they're banter was great, especially the part with him saying red wasn't his color) and the duel between the four people was pretty good(though WAY too short) and it was cool seeing them all use red lightsabers. No matter what people say, Obi-Wan did really good in the fight and would have beaten Maul had it just been the two of them one-on-one(fighting two Sith/dark side people is quite difficult). His humor was GREAT! I loved how even when he was getting hurt he came up with these really snarky comments to his tormentors; if I was in a situation like that I'd probably be doing the same sort of thing(since acting all scared and crying is what psychos want). I also liked Obi-Wan's facial expressions when he saw what had happened the people and I liked when he said that he had to go. I also felt bad for Obi-Wan when Maul was mocking him about being helpless while his Master was killed; that scene was done quite well. And I loved Obi-Wan's line to Ventress: "Since when were you one of the good guys?"

The Bad:(oh, this should be SO fun*sarcasm*). First off I'd like to say- WHY?! Obi-Wan should be able to beat Maul! I mean he beat him as a Padawan, he should be able to beat him now that he's a MASTER on the COUNCIL. The fight with him and Maul was WAY, WAY too short and they didn't seem outmatched to me; I think they could have won if they had kept at it. This is one of the problems I have with "The Clone Wars"- they take the characters who are really powerful and all in the movies and the books and make them shadows of who they really are in the t.v show. Don't get me wrong, I like the t.v show but I don't like some of the things they do in it(and there are books I don't like either).
Also, if they HAD to torture Obi-Wan they should have at least had him tied up or hooked to electric Force-cuffs- having those two throw him around like that was completely unnecessary on the Clone Wars peoples' part. I don't WANT To see my hero get thrown around like that; it's horrible and cruel :(. I'm beginning to think that some people have a secret pleasure in harming Obi-Wan since it happens so often(in fanfictions, in the t.v show, even in some of the books). I also really, really want to hurt Darth Maul for all those HORRIBLE comments he made to Obi-Wan. How dare he mock Obi-Wan! (Exterminate. EXTERMINATE!!!*sends out the Daleks*)
I really hope they have Obi-Wan kill Maul on the show. I really do. (sigh). I'm so glad I went into the episode thinking the way I did; I'm not as upset as I might have been. I'm just worried that people are going to think Obi-Wan is weak or wimpy and that is something that is definitely not true; he's one of the strongest people I know. :(
Dave Filoni is definitely causing my approval of him drop a lot....well, after Satine, it hadn't been that high anyway. :/
Oh and the beginning with Maul, Talzin, and Savage seemed like it should have been added to the to the end of last week's episode; it took up to much time of this episode. Also, Maul really doesn't deserve revenge; Obi-Wan had every right to kill him. Darth Maul had just mortally wounded his Master and was trying to kill him. It was in total self-defense; I'd have done the same.

Over all, the episode was not what I was hoping for. I wanted to at least be able to enjoy the episode even if I don't consider it canon, but with all the harm that came to Obi-Wan I wasn't able to as much. I know I'm in the minority here and I know that a lot of people enjoyed the episode and if you did, I'm very happy for you. Sometimes I wish that I was in control of the t.v show; things would be a lot different.
Season four, though, reminded me a lot of Season 3; it had some really stellar episodes and some really bad ones. I wish we could go back to season 1 and 2 where the majority of the episodes were, for the most part, really good(except for those not canon Mandalore episodes which I despise greatly). However, Season four was a LOT better than I was expecting and it made some really great episodes.

My favorites and least favorites of Season 4
favorites
Friends and Enemies
Escape from Kadavo
The Box
Carnage of Krell
Deception
Prisoners
Crises on Naboo
Slaves of the Republic
Plans of Dissent

least favorites
Massacre
Brothers
Kidnapped
And "Water War" wasn't that great, but the next two I enjoyed quite a lot.

Here are some other reviews if you want to read another perspective on the episode
JandJ Productions - http://jandjproductions1809.blogspot.com/
Pandas, Lightsabers, and Cameras, oh my! - http://pandasabercamera.blogspot.com/
Fangirls on Felucia - http://fangirlsonfelucia.blogspot.com/
Prophets of the Force - http://prophetsoftheforce.blogspot.com/

Well that is all for now, I'll be posting some St. Patrick's Day stuff on here as well as the next segment of the "Aran Liander" story(sorry it's taken me so long to post the next segment, but I promise it's good) and a fanfiction that I wrote awhile back. :D
Hope you all enjoy the rest of your day and May the Force be with you..Always :)
Jedi Shena Tokala out

6 comments:

  1. Interesting review. I do agree that the characters are sometimes under powered and Obi-Wan does get beat up a lot. But I really liked this season since "Shadow Warrior" was the only episode I did not like. :) Good review and I have written my Top 22 Clone Wars episodes of season 4 and hopefully will post them soon. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, season 4 has been very good(And I wasn't a fan of Shadow Warrior either). Thank you and I will be checking out your post on the top 22 Clone wars episodes of season 4 :).

      Delete
  2. good review.I agree I loved the way too short duel (i do though wish it was longer) and the banter between ventress and obiwan was excellent.I agree I love how obiwan was able to provide cheeky lines to maul i least his sense of humor wasn't hurt.

    I didn't really like seeing obiwan being beaten up but sith are extreamly powerful and vengence can be a powerful force and maul definitly had lots of it. They wanted to make maul out to be a formidable oppenent which i think they accomplished.

    I have to agree to disagree with you about Dave, I think he has done an outstanding job (satine in my opinion is fantatic though i will always like obiwan with siri best) but i completly respect your opinion.

    anyway great post God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, jedigal for the the kind comment :). And I respect your opinion on the show and everything; we all like what we like after all and that is the important part :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing my link! :D haha I agree 100 percent that Obi-Wan should be able to beat Mual. I'm kind of raging like you are... mostly to my brother :P

    ReplyDelete