Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,

Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,
You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you

Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hunger Games movie review



WARNING SPOILERS!
I got back from this film awhile back and I really enjoyed it. I had enjoyed this trilogy of books and I had looked forward to the film adaption of the first installment since I first heard they were going to make a film of it. As I saw who they were casting for the many parts, I became slightly wary; the girl playing Katniss, I felt at first, was way too pretty for the role and before I heard they were dying her hair brown, I was worried she would look wrong. However after seeing the preview, I knew that the movie was going to be good.
I wont explain the plot line of the film since you've probably heard it before. I felt that the movie stayed pretty close to the book, with only a few minor details changed(though, I haven't read the book in about two years, but I did some refreshers of the story, so I remembered more than just the rough plot line). '
My favorite part of the film, as well as the book, was the characters. Katniss was always a very intriguing, very well done character; especially since I find most female characters leads lacking in personality. I also really liked Peeta; he was a very nice guy who had flaws but was an overall good person.
When the movie first started, I knew that Jennifer Lawrence was going to put on a stellar performance of our heroine. She was able to pull off the different aspects of Katniss, such as her tough side, her sensitive side, and her protective nature. Katniss is definitely a hard role to play and Jennifer Lawrence nailed it. My favorite acting moments with her were when Rue died and when she had her bow aimed at Cato at the end; her non-verbal acting in those scenes was very, very good.
I also really enjoyed Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. When I first heard he had the part, I was a little wary. I'd seen him in other films and I knew he was a really good actor but I didn't know if he could play the role correctly. Happily, I was proven wrong. Josh Hutcherson also nailed his role and I really enjoyed the scenes with him in it. The other actors did a very good job as well. Amandla Stenberg, even though she looked nothing as I imagined her, did really good as Rue; I actually teared up a little bit when Katniss sang to her and put flowers around her after she died.
The settings were really enjoyable to see; from the glimpses we see of 12, you could believe that this was a terrible poor place(it reminded me of Appalachia). The scene at the Reaping was also well done and the way the camera was positioned, it gave a very real sense of urgency to the scene. I also loved the way the arena looked; it looked a lot like how I imagined it from the book.
The action was well done but the idea behind the fight scenes(kids killing kids) made it not enjoyable at all to watch. Also, the camera shook so much during the fight scenes that you couldn't tell what was going on all that well.
The gore level was a lot lower than it was in the book, but I am glad for this since reading about something and seeing it actually happen are very different and anyway, the directors knew that a lot of young kids would come see it(I mean, there were several young children there when I saw it).

Overall, I greatly enjoyed the film and the message was a good one(which I will let you figure out on your own); though I wish it had been as prominent in the book.
It appears that they will be making films out of the sequels which I am looking forward to, especially "Catching Fire" which was my favorite out of the whole trilogy. I would definitely recommend this film to anyone over the age of thirteen and mature enough to handle the plot of the storyline and understand that what is happening to the main characters is wrong.
I do have something to say regarding the merchandising this movie has had. I hadn't really paid much attention to this until I read a review by Amaranthine(from the blog Amaranthine Forever) and it made me really think. Really, the whole merchandising of the film is like the capital's obsession with the Games; with everyone wanting to buy things like t-shirts and nail polish(really? seriously?) and wanting to be a tribute. If Katniss say all of this she would be mortified since the Games are not fun; people die and you have to remember, even as you read the book, that it isn't a game, just like war isn't a game. I guess Suzanne Collins' point has been made.


Katniss Everdeen in the tube right before she goes up into the arena


Katniss Everdeen


Katniss Everdeen


Peeta Mellark


Peeta Mellark(I love his expression here; very convincing)


Rue peeking around a tree


Rue during her Interview


The Careers: Clove, Cato, Marvel, and Glimmer


Clove


Cato


Foxface during her Interview


Gale (I'm actually not a big fan of Gale but in the movie he was a good character).


Primrose *Prim* Everdeen


Primrose Everdeen

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! I didn't see it yet. I want to. I also have the pdf version of the book- but never read it yet... too busy reading star wars. It's a hit in my school, but the teacher disapproves kids killing kids. :P Everyone expept her that I know likes it so far, and I want to read it ASAP :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks@ :) Yeah, my mom disapproves of the idea as well. If you get to read the book, just a word of warning, it's very violent(the movie is surprisingly less so).
      Hope you enjoy the book, it's very well written

      Delete
  2. It seems that just about everyone has seen this, I have seen at least 5 or 6 reviews on different blogs. It looks like it will be a good movie except for the werid look of some of things, like the crazy beards some of the guys have but other that it looks like something that will be good. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a very popular story. I liked it but I'm not as obsessed with it as some people I know are. But it is very good and I believe you would enjoy it :) (and I agree, the people in the Capital dress and do their hair weird).

      Delete
  3. I loved the books and the movie was good! The muts scared me and I teared up at the same part too! I prefer Gale. :)

    And they followed closely to the books but they did ut out Madge and some other things but I really enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment :) Glad you enjoyed the movie :D Yes, I agree, they followed it quite close, but they did leave out a few minor things but on a whole, I felt they did a good job on keeping it true to the actual story. And I prefer Peeta, but I can see why others would like Gale :)

      Delete
  4. I agree I love the movie. great photos at the end and Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved it too. Glad you liked the review and the pictures :)

      Delete