Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,

Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,
You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you

Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Avengers movie review


Warning! Spoilers for The Avengers will most definitely follow

Okay, before I start, can I just say that the film was just PLAIN AWESOME!? I had been expecting a lot from this film and it definitely lived up to my expectations and the hype. The action was perfect(some of the best action I've ever seen in a movie), the characters(and their actors) were all totally epic and the plot was very exciting. This is definitely a movie I'd consider a favorite of mine and I will definitely be getting the film on DVD once it comes out. Joss Whedon showed that he can do as good in film as he can in t.v(he is the creator of the two amazing t.v shows called Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel as well as other shows I want to see but haven't yet gotten around to yet). I would definitely recommend going to see this movie if you already haven't seen it.
I'd like to thank the girls over at the Lakehouse and James from JandJ Productions for encouraging me to see this film(as well as the ones before it) :D.
Oh, and I did stay to watch the clips after both credits and the one with them all in the diner was very funny XD. I loved how they were all in their suits still.

The Good: The whole big shabang! :D I loved the action; it was TOTALLY awesome. While in some movies, action can get stale and repetitive, in this film it is very fluid and captivating; you just keep wanting to see more of it :)(I can definitely tell Joss Whedon directed this; this fighting reminds of way he choreographed Buffy and Angel; on a much smaller scale of course). I really loved how each character had distinctive style of fighting and each had their own bit that they contributed to saving the world; they really were a team(I really, really would love to be cast in The Avengers 2..hmmm*goes of to plan*). Both the action on the ship and in New York was really cool and very realistic looking.

On characters, they were all so cool, I'm going to have to give a summary of each one(I'll go in order of films being made and such). They were all SO GOOD and the actors playing them did a grand, grand job. I would be honored to be in a film with any of them. :)

Iron Man/Tony Stark - Even though he can be a bit of a smart-aleck, Iron Man/Tony is different then the man we saw on Iron Man 1, though his witty, snide remarks are still there(and thankfully so; that's one of the reason's he's such a great character). Iron Man was even cooler here than he was in Iron Man(though he was really epic in the first film). I loved his dynamics with Captain America; I can really see these guys being friends. I don't know why, but I really just liked them together; I guess because the actors worked really well together. I also liked his friendship with Bruce, it was pretty neat since they are both scientific geniuses(finally, someone who talks English XD). His bravery and selflessness at the end were quite pivotal for his character(as was the part where he was trying to save the ship). Even if has an exterior of being self-absorbed, he is definitely a hero. His fight with Thor was really epic, kind of like a battle between the old and the new, the science fiction and the fantasy. Plus, he had a lot of really good lines in this film; he was definitely making me laugh at different points. I loved the scene where he was talking to Loki in his Stark tower(he was just so casual with him, it was great!). Tony is definitely a riot and a great character. :D

Thor Thor is probably my favorite Avenger; I loved his character in Thor and he doesn't disappoint in The Avengers. He was totally epic! His fight scenes were totally epic and his character was perfect; even if he can be a bit otherworldy(but then he isn't human) he is a really sweet guy(and good looking) :). I loved his interactions with Loki, you can really see that he loves and cares for his brother(I have a soft spot for brotherly relationships). I loved how when he's first talking to Loki, he puts his hand on the side of Loki's neck/face and says to "Come Home"; I also liked that he still considered Loki his brother and said "our father" when referring to Odin. Thor's fight with the Hulk was great(I liked it when the Hulk couldn't lift the hammer) as was his fight with Iron Man. I really enjoyed the the scenes where Thor showed emotion; the actor is really good at that(I love good acting :)). I also liked it when Thor jumped into the plane, grabbed his brother, and just left; it was hilarious. His accent and way of talking are also really cool :). I liked that he wanted to make sure Jane was all right, it was nice of him(I don't like coddling girls or making them appear weak or anything*since I hate that*but I do appreciate people showing care and concern). He really is a sweet, nice guy :)

Captain America/Steve Rogers While Captain America didn't exactly click with me in Captain America: The First Avenger, I totally fell for him(in a non romantic way) in The Avengers. He ROCKED in this film! You could see his confusion and grief at being in the wrong time in the beginning sequence where he is beating up punching bag after punching bag(I loved the flashbacks, they really made you care about him). He is also a great character; he is very loyal, kind, humble, and selfless, not to mention an epic fighter. I loved how he and Iron Man/Tony Stark interacted in the film; one of my favorite parts with them was then they were working together to save the ship; even though they didn't get along at first, they worked very well together when the going got tough(I loved how after the explosion, the both of them immediately left to have Iron Man get his suit; I really liked how Captain America grabbed onto a stumbling Tony and help him from the room). Captain America, in my opinion, adapted pretty well to the advanced technology, though of course he did have his moments where you could tell he was from a different time; like when he said something like "I think it's run by electricity" or when he wouldn't understand a reference(it was really funny when they mentioned a monkey and he was like "Oh, I get that reference"). His fighting in the battles were also great and he was also quite funny :). I liked how he gave Nick Fury ten dollars after being surprised by the ship and when he tried to get Thor and Iron Man to stop fighting(I loved how he threw his shield). I also loved the scene where Iron Man was on the ground and they thought he was dead but, when the Hulk roared, he woke up and said that he hoped no one had kissed him and that he wanted to try out this food-joint he'd seen. Captain America was really nice in this film and a really sweet guy; especially when he was sad that he'd never signed Phil's cards. :(

Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff I LOVED Black Widow. Finally, an awesome, kick-butt girl superhero character who isn't there just for romance purposes or eye candy but has a purpose to the overall story. I also appreciated that she wasn't in sexy/skimpy garb; her neck line was a bit too low, but that doesn't bother me as long as I don't have to wear it ;). Black Widow was definitely an awesome fighter; she was definitely one of my favorite characters in the film. I loved how cool and collected she was in most fights and how she was able to fight her way out of all situations(the part at the beginning was epic!!). In almost all her fights, she was in complete control which I loved seeing(she only needed rescuing once). The only time she wasn't in control was when she was being chased by the Hulk, but I can understand that since no one can really fight the Hulk that easily; Loki, a powerful god, couldn't take him and I have to say that Natasha handled it a lot better than Loki did. I also loved how she used the scepter on the tesseract and that she had her own very important part to play in saving the world(Black Widow has definitely joined the ranks of my favorite female characters). :D

Hawkeye Hawkeye was a really great character as well. I loved his archery abilities(he was very, very, VERY, good) and his fighting abilities. It was so cool, for example, when he shot behind him without looking. Like Black Widow, he is able to take care of himself very well and his character is very likable(once he's free of Loki's control, that is). I loved it when Iron Man said "Clench up, Legolas" when he lifted him into the air, it was an epic tribute to one of my favorite film series. I also enjoyed his friendship with Natasha, it was really good :) (oh yeah, I forgot to mention this but there is hardly any romance in this movie. YAAAY!!!!).

Bruce Banner/The Hulk I will admit, when I was little I didn't like the Hulk at all; I thought he was a weird, freaky-looking green monster man and it was something I didn't really feel interested in at all. After seeing this movie, I definitely liked the character and how he was portrayed. Bruce Banner is a great character and the actor playing him did a good job. You can really tell he's a man constantly on edge(which has to be really hard and really taxing, I can definitely see why he's that way). I felt really bad for him :(. The Hulk had one of the most hilarious parts of the film; I loved how Loki was screaming at him that he was a god and that he was above Banner and that he wouldn't be bullied by him and the Hulk just lifted in into the air and started to BASH and SMASH him against the floor. Oh my gosh, that was just plain EPIC! XD. I also liked it when they told him to "smash". Another scene I liked with him was when he woke up after crashing through the roof of a building and this old guy was asking him if he was an alien; after saying he wasn't, I thought it was funny when he said something like "Then son, I'm afraid you have a problem"- the look on Banner's face made me think "Yeah...I kind of new that..."

Loki Loki was again a well portrayed villain, just as he was in Thor. I liked how Tom Hiddleston played Loki; he is definitely evil and crazy, but you can tell that he wasn't always that way. While not as a tragic figure as he was in Thor, you can still see that bit of him there. Though he is a bad guy and he did kill a lot of people, and there is no excuse for that. Loki is definitely one of the better villains I've come across in film and I enjoyed something different then the usual cartoonish villain used on shows. Loki, while mostly an emotional character, did have some funny moments. Besides the totally awesome scene with the Hulk, he had some great lines with Iron Man during their talk at Stark Tower. I loved the part where, at the end, when he's surrounded by the Avengers and he looks up and says "If it's all the same to you, I'd like to have that drink now," and they all just stare at him like he's crazy. Ha! XD

I also enjoyed characters such as Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Agent Phil Coulson. It was great to see my buddy Mace Windu again....er, I mean, it was great to see Samuel Jackson in another film; he is truly a great actor :). Some people don't like Nick Fury, but I think he's great. He's definitely a good guy in my opinion. I thought it was funny at the end where he 'disobeyed' the council "I didn't disobey orders, I just didn't argue with the god who said otherwise." I also thought that Maria Hill was an awesome character; she was a good fighter and I loved how she could take care of herself as well as her interactions with Nick Fury. Agent Phil Coulson was also a great character; I liked how he idolized Captain America- it was really cute since he reminded me of a starry-eyed little boy. It was really sad when he was killed by Loki :( (though I was happy he shot Loki with that gun). I really wished he had gotten his cards signed :(. I liked how, towards the the end, when Iron Man brings up Phil right before he blasts Loki over. >:)

The Bad: I actually only have one complaint and it is rather small, so that's perfectly okay. I didn't really like the adoption comment, since my brother and two of my cousins are adopted. Though I do get what he meant when he said that, which goes to show, that you should always tell a child they were adopted when they are little(bring it up every so often; for example, talk about the birth mother or, if they are from another country, tell them about that as well). I believe if Loki had been told growing up that he'd been adopted, he wouldn't have turned the way he did. I guess my main problem wasn't the comment, but the fact that everyone laughed since it wasn't funny. Being adopted doesn't make you bad- most kids who are adopted are perfectly fine. But that was my only problem and even that was a small matter that I can handle.

Overall, I loved this film and I would definitely go see it again. It is also being added to one of my top favorite films which is awesome since it so rarely happens. I really can't wait to see what they do next in The Avengers 2, Thor 2, and Iron Man 3(but first, I need to see Iron Man 2). The Avengers is also my favorite superhero movie- it blows the rest of them out of the water. So, if you haven't see it then do so. You won't regret it :).
May the Force be with you...Always
Jedi Shena Tokala out (hope you enjoy the pictures). :)









/>

















a>
/>




4 comments:

  1. Awesome review! :D I agree the movie was amazing! One of my favorite movies also. I really liked the thing about each character. Also thanks for mentioning me in the reivew. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Glad you liked that, that was probably my favorite part of writing the whole review. :) and You're welcome! :D

      Delete
  2. Great review!! I agree with your opinion on the characters and the good and bad aspects of the movie. ^_^

    ~Misty

    ReplyDelete