Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,

Actor, Writer, Jedi, Singer,
You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Books of 2018




How many books read in 2018: 

Around 60-61 :) 

How many fiction and non fiction?: 


Most were fiction, but I did read some non fiction for school

Male/Female author ratio?: 


Sadly, more guys :(

Favorite book of 2018?: 


Trials of Apollo: The Burning Maze by Rick Riordan  - I absolutely adore this series and this book is probably the best one yet! Apollo is just such a fascinating protagonist and so different from the usual heroes (I buy that he's a Greek God who has lived a long time!). He grows so much in this book and certain moments really hit home (like how Apollo bonded with Jason and was in awe how his brother stood up for him, Piper's dad holding himself together for his daughter even though he was going crazy) and the death we got at the end really worked (wasn't for shock value, it added to the plot) and was devastating.  

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Ship of the Dead by Rick Riordan - this was a great and fun ending to the trilogy. Magnus continues to be a fun character to follow and the side cast of characters in this trilogy is probably Riordan's best (outside the original PJO series). I liked getting to see more Norse mythology, how Magnus's strengths played into him saving the day, and that I was right about the Magnus x Alex ship! (and they went to the Jorvik Viking Center like ME). 

Star Wars Clone Wars comics (The Last Siege The Final Truth, On the Fields of Battle, and When they Were Brothers) - This continue to be some of the best Star Wars comics I've read. They are just exciting and vibrant and the stories really hit home on a lot of themes I enjoy during the time (especially the struggle the Jedi have to go through during the war). I will say, I do wish the Obi-Wan searching for Ventress plot line had been given more build up (I think this one would have worked better as a novel), since that story is super interesting and I felt it was glossed over. 

Defy the Stars and Defy the Worlds by Claudia Gray - A badass sci-fi story with new worlds, an excellent plot, a girl soldier, an AI-boy, and a human x AI love story? SIGN ME THE HELL UP. These first two books in the trilogy were superb sci-fi and were stories I wish I could see more of- exciting sci-fi with different worlds, cool scientific ideas, battles, and an unconventional love story (sci-fi novels with romantic subplots are my THING, well, ONE of my any things!). The characters are excellent, the love story is believable (and super cute!), and the science-y stuff is really interesting. If you love science fiction, for sure give these a go!

Choices of One by Timothy Zahn - Mara Jade continues to be a delight in this second book and Zahn is so good at writing women, it makes me happy! This book is even better than it's predecessor and I feel like this was the most fun I've had with the OT characters in book form! :) LaRone and his buddies were even more engaging as characters and I'm sad we won't get to see them again :/ The showings of Leia and Han's earlier relationship and the near meeting of Mara and Luke was rather exciting as well :) Also, LaRone and Luke having to work together? FUN FUN FUN! Definitely an AWESOME Star Wars book :) 

Knights of the Old Republic: Flashpoint - Zayne Carrick and his friends make excellent characters and this edition moves the story along as a good pace. While I think I liked the first one a tad bit more (the disturbing image of Zayne walking in on his Master- and his friends' Masters- standing over the bodies of the dead Padawans and his escape were good), I did like how the plot continued and I can't wait to read more of these character's adventures. 

Star Wars Republic: Emissaries to Malastare - Getting to see the members of the Jedi Council shortly after TPM was fun, since we don't get too much in this time period and it's one I like very much.

Rebel Force series (I read Fireflight, Trapped, and Uprising) - This series ended very well and I felt like we got some good endings for various characters. Ferus Olin got the out he deserved, protecting Leia, and him getting to see his husband Roan Lands in death again was beautiful and everything I could have asked for. Seeing Lune again was good and the whole "is X-7 Trever Flume" was moving.

The Winner's Curse and The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski - This is a rather unique fantasy novel, with artistic characters which I very much enjoyed seeing (as it isn't too common and normally it isn't done well). The writing style is very different than the norm and it was beautiful to read. The love story is also very angsty in a good way and sets them up as 'star-crossed lovers' in a way that many stories can't do well. 

Tales from Jabba's Palace by an assortment of authors - Some stories were better than others, but the strong ones really made the book for me. Here are my faves: The last one, "Skin Deep", showed a couple (not dating but they hint at the character's being attracted to each other and the author MADE it WORK!) escaping the Palace after Jabba's death and how they both helped each other (I adored this story, I'd recommend it just for that. The female character carries the male character through the desert BY HERSELF, she is awesome :) ). "A Time to Mourn, A Time to Dance" showed Oola's inner strength and her last moments are given the dignity they deserve. "Shaara and the Sarlacc" shows the ingenuity of a young teen girl and how she escapes some creepy dudes and gets them eaten by the Sarlacc while she is spared.  "A Barve Like That" is a creepy exploration of what happens when you get stuck in a Sarlacc Pit. It's told mainly through Boba Fett's POV, but we also see the POVs of other people that have fallen into the Pit and it's rather terrifying. "And the Band Played On" is a fun story with a lot of good humor! "Taster's Choice" gives the main character of the cook a very sympathetic portrayal that, once I finished it, I rapidly looked at the back of the book to make sure he was ok. There are others, but those for certain stood out! 

The Iliad by Homer - A very beautiful piece of epic poetry, I can see why this work has stood the test of time. It touches on many important aspects of being human and gives us a good look at how the world was viewed by those at the time it was written. There are also moments that can be understood today, like Hector being desperate to find his wife and child before he goes back to battle (this is probably my favorite part), Achilles being devastated over the loss of Patrocles (I will say, the idea that they are lovers makes a lot of sense), and Achilles letting go of his anger and allowing a grieving father to bury his son (and therefore letting go of the rage the poem opens with). I'm very glad I read it and I look forward to The Odyssey

Sarek by A.C. Crispin - I've been getting into Star Trek recently (been meaning to watch it for years and now I have time for it!) and two characters I've become very intrigued by are Spock's parents, Sarek and Amanda Grayson. I love human x alien romances and the exploration we get in this novel is very moving. The present portions of the story covers the end of their relationship as Amanda (as a human, she lives less than a Vulcan does) becomes ill and begins her descent to death (the exploration of an older couple in love was nice to see, since we rarely get to see it in fiction). We see through journal entries different parts of their life together, both romantic and fraught with the clashes their differences cause. Getting such spanning view of their relationship made the love between them so vivid that the emotional moments pack a real punch. The plot is also interesting and I liked the espionage and politics involved. Though I have to say, I do not like Klingons! 


Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - This is a VERY weird book and I don't think I can recommend it to most people, but I am glad I read it. The sci-fi aspects are very weird and interesting and as someone who loves weird sci-fi, it was right up my alley. I also enjoyed the little bits Mr. Vonnegut put of his own experiences into the story and the last line is very good. 

The Lunar Chronicles: Winter by Marissa Meyer - While not my favorite of the series, Winter does end the series well and I liked how everyone's stories ended. Cinder and Thorne, my favorite characters (and couple) had some lovely moments in this story and I'm glad they ended up together. Cinder was quite the badass in this book, as was Scarlet. I did have some issues (why was Levana being scarred such an important thing? Yes, I get that it made her get upset, but her actions are what make her bad, not her injuries. ALSO, why did everyone get all gaga over Winter? There is a thing called 'type' you know and I hate it when someone is so pretty, people will fall all over themselves to help them. Also, beautiful = goodness isn't a message I condone). 

Oedipus the King by Sophocles - While I preferred Antigone, this play was still really good, even though what happens is gross. The unraveling of the mystery is very well crafted and the emotional moments is very clearly something Sophocles excels at (Oedipus crying over Jocasta when he finds her dead is very upsetting, as his him saying goodbye to his daughters/sisters). I also liked how Jocasta figured it out first and runs away screaming and Oedipus is all 'oh, she's just upset cause I could be a commoner' and the audience is yelling "NOO, listen to her, SHE KNOWS!!" 

A Piece of My Heart by Shirley Lauro - A very real and gripping tale about various Nurses in the Vietnam war. Generally, when dealing with war stories, it's always from the men's point of view and, if it's from the woman's pov, it generally only talks about rape and women as victims. Here, while rape does come up in one case, I was glad that it explored all the experiences a woman could have in serving in a war. We get to see women from different backgrounds doing different things (some were nurses, some were performers, one was actually in combat, another was an Asian-American who had to deal with the fact that the enemy looked like her, some had to deal with combat PTSD, some had been affected by Agent Orange, etc) and the last scene is just beautiful. This is very much something I want to see live!

Angels in America (parts one and two) by Tony Kushner - While the plot is a bit weird and not for everyone (I had some issues with the way God was depicted), the human parts of this story are very grounding. I felt very strongly for Prior and was about ready to jump in the book and defend him from his mean boyfriend who abandoned him to die with AIDS. I feel like it also gives a good idea of the horrors of the AIDS epidemic and how it felt for LGBT men (particularly gay/bi men).  

The Science and Art of Acting for the Camera by John Howard Swain - I felt like this book helped me quite a lot in feeling prepared for acting and the business. 

Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card - While not the greatest book, I felt like the ending made up for it. While the agenda Mr. Card is pushing gets annoying at times, other parts make up for it. The ending tied up many things from the Shadow series and I was glad to see Peter Wiggin come into his own (I found myself relating to him in many ways, especially in the 'very smart but has no charisma' and has to work in different ways to get done what needs to see). Bean's closing letter to Graff (and Graff's reply) actually got to me while reading, especially the whole "Poke (the girl who took him in on the streets and died for him) being his father and Sister Carlotta (the nun who took care of him and saved him from the streets) being his mother" brought to a close all the anguish he had for their deaths and his attachment to them. I also liked Peter being there for Petra and I was very glad that they married (just wish we could have seen more of it), as well as Peter, as an old man, getting to speak to Ender again and get reconciliation. I also enjoyed the return of badass Petra, since she'd gotten annoying in the last book (and she stayed in the military, YESSSS. GOOD). 

Disgraced by Ayad Ahktar - This play is a deep look at a group of people who at first seem like nice, civil people but in the end, they all turn out rather awful. The main character has some really dark twists that I liked seeing explored, since I feel like too many authors shy away from the dark side's many people have. The play has been compared to Othello in many ways and as a retelling, it does a good job (though it is rather subtle). 

Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett - I've been wanting to read this play for a long time (tried years ago) and I'm really glad I did, as it showed me the intricacies and the enjoyment that can come from absurdism (I can tell you, having read scenes from other absurdist plays, it's fun to act!).

and for Fanfictions, I LOVED

No Winter Lasts Forever - A beautiful story about loss on large and small scales and how friendship and love can be built through it and life can continue on after great tragedy. The story is very moving, the characters rich and vivid, the pregnancy plot line actually works for once (the only time I wasn't cringing while reading about one), and it gave me some needed resolution that I didn't know I needed from the first of the new Star Trek films (as in, resolution on Vulcan being destroyed). There is also good humor in this story as well and I liked that, even though the female character (Dagny) was pregnant and wanted to keep the baby, she didn't give up on her career. Also, human x vulcan love story? SIGN ME UP.

Meet Me on Sunday - This is a lighter love story between Amanda and Sarek and it's super fun to read! I loved following them around as they did fun things like go to baseball games (Sarek caught the ball!), running away from hornets, riding a Ferris wheel, going shopping, going to museums, etc. Seeing humanity through an alien's eyes was super intriguing as well. Also, the ending with Amanda catching the flowers at her friend's wedding and then getting to proposed to later was super romantic :) :) 

The Serendipity Paradox series - This series magnificently balances political intrigue with the love story. We get to see the characters have a real relationship, with all the ups and downs one could expect in a relationship. I also liked how Amanda had difficulty acclimating to Vulcan, as it felt very honest. 

Between Now and Eternity - A human and a vulcan (Amanda and Sarek) get stranded on a planet together where they are stuck in a time..hole thing, and have to work together to survive OH NO :O Something I love are stories where characters have to band together to survive on an alien world and this one was super great. I loved that both characters brought something to the table (and Amanda wasn't a damsel in distress, she saved HIM several times AND she had survival skills). The ending was also lovely and romantic :)

The Vulcan's Wife - While the writing was slightly weak at first, as the story moved along, it got much stronger. I enjoyed how it handled both characters and dealt with the more difficult subjects (like pon farr), as well as how people viewed them on both worlds. 

The Native - This one is an odd one and I really liked it for that. The look into their bond and the connections in their mind was also great. I also loved how it was kinda enemies to lovers. 

Least favorite?:


How I Learned to Drive by Paula Vogel (I never wanted to read this play and sadly I had to HELP OUT BACKSTAGE with it :( I feel like it handled the subject in a poor way in some ways and I just don't like these stories very much personally).

Getting Out by Marsha Norman (the character didn't feel real to me. I feel like someone who had been in jail like her would know better than to merely slap a creepy dude...she should HIT/KICK him).

Ajax in Iraq by Ellen McLaughlin (Seeing a soldier woman be a rape victim is something I personally find unnerving and is a thing I REALLY just cannot read. The play is probably good but that is one of my biggest NOPES).



Newest?: 


Trials of Apollo: The Burning Maze was the newest, I'd say (the short A Very Declan Christmas was as well).

Longest and shortest book titles?:


Shortest - Sarek, The Escape, etc.
Longest - The Science and Art of Acting for the Camera: A Practical Approach to Film, Television, and Commercial Acting 

Longest and shortest books?: 


The longest was Winter by Marissa Meyer (over 800 pages)

The shortest - A Very Declan Christmas by Maggie Stiefvater (4 pages), The Sandbox (5-6 pages) and The Dumb Waiter by Harold Pinter (around 6 ish pages, I think?)


How many books from the library?: 

A good chunk were from the library, but I also read a good deal of books that I own too.


Any translated books?:


The Iliad by Homer (from Greek)

Oedipus the King by Sophocles (from Greek)
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett (from French)

Ubu the King by Alfred Jarry (from French)

The Good Woman of Setzuan by Bertolt Brecht (from German)



Most read author?: 
I don't have any author I read a bunch from.


Any re-reads?: 

No :/ 


Favorite character of the year?


Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mara Jade Skywalker
Ferus Olin
Luke Skywalker
Leia Organa Solo
Han Solo
Aayla Secura
Mace Windu
Zayne Carrick
Quinlan Vos
Apollo
Magnus Chase
Samirah Al-Abbas
Hearthstone
Blitzen
Alex Fierro
Noemi Vidal
Abel
Amanda Grayson
Sarek
Spock
Hector
Cress
Carswell Thorne
Cinder
Kestrel
Arin
Prior Walter
Darric LaRone
Piper McLean
Jason Grace
Jarael
Asajj Ventress
Lune Divinian
Petra Arkanian
Peter Wiggin
Bean (Julian Delphiki)



Which countries did you go to through the page in your year of reading?:


Hungary, China, Brazil, India, Vietnam, Norway, England, Greece, Iraq, and many sci-fi and fantasy locations!

Which book wouldn't you have read without someone’s specific recommendation? 


How I Learned to Drive

She Loves Me
The Dumb Waiter
The Sandbox 
Fight Girl Battle World
Ajax in Iraq
She Kills Monsters
Fun Home
Getting Out
In the Next Room 
Machinal 
The Escape
The Laramie Project

Which author was new to you in 2017 that you now want to read the entire works of?


Not really anyone, tbh? 


Which books are you annoyed you didn't read?:


Acting in ----- (still reading)

A Court of Thorns and Roses (I would have finished it but the e-book I had went away and I couldn't bring my sibling's copy with me on our trip)

Living Independently on the Autism Spectrum 

The Winner's Kiss 

Twelfth Night 

Chemistry 

Uprooted

Scoundrels 

The Collapsing Empire 

How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas (we're still reading it!)

Don Juan 

Emma (currently reading!)

Jurassic Park

and I wanted to read more Brandon Sanderson


Did you read any books you have always been meaning to read?


YESSSSS :D :D 

The Iliad by Homer (YES. I FINALLY FINISHED IT. I sat down and was "ok, YOU WILL FINISH THIS OR ELSE." AND I DID :D )

Trials of Apollo: The Burning Maze

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Ship of the Dead (finished the trilogy!)

Star Wars Clone Wars comics - I have almost finished all the comics in this series! Just one more.

Knights of the Old Republic - I read the second volume, so yay!

Star Wars Republic: Emissaries to Malastare - glad I actually got to read another Republic comic!

Choices of One 

Tales from Jabba's Palace (couldn't find it for the longest time...)

Defy the Stars (and Defy the Worlds) - which I LOVED

Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant (I have FINALLY FINISHED the Shadow series! I thought I was done with the Ender related books but apparently there are more :O ).

The Lunar Chronicles: Winter (YAY, I finished this series!)

Rebel Force (Fireflight, Trapped, and Uprising) - also finished this series!!

The Winner's Curse (and The Winner's Crime) - great books!

The Song of Achilles (I'd heard a lot of good things about it. Had some issues with them making Patrocles weak, though :( Why do they have to do the dumb strong/weak dynamic? No one likes it AND it goes against the TEXT because both men were badass fighters!! The ending was very beautiful though and I wish the characters had been more true to their origins and that the love story had been better explored before the inevitable).

Oedipus the King (wanted to read this since I read Antigone, so I'm glad I sat down and read it)

Waiting for Godot (tried reading it when I was younger and I'm glad I finally got to it)

Death of a Salesman - wasn't my favorite Arthur Miller play, but I'm glad I got the chance to read it as I've wanted to read it since high school.

Slaughterhouse-Five - was hoping to read another Vonnegut novel and I did!

The "A New Hope" addition of the Shakespeare Star Wars series.

What books are you planning to read in 2018?


Scoundrels

A Court of Thorns and Roses

Acting in ----

The Collapsing Empire

Uprooted

Living Independently on the Autism Spectrum

Chemistry 

Jurassic Park

The Shifter 

Medusa Uploaded 

The Diabolic 

The Kissing Quotient 

The Winner's Kiss

Defy the Fates

Trials of Apollo: The Tyrant's Tomb (SO EXCITED)

Battlecry 

Spinning Silver 

Before I Fall

Daughters of Smoke and Bone 

Stranger in a Strange Land 
Made of Stars

Dracula 

The Odyssey (maybe)

Don Juan

The Vulcan Academy Murders

Spock's World 

The IDIC Epidemic 

The other books in the Ender universe.

More Than This



Maurice

Star Wars Republic and Clone Wars comics - read the last one!


Knights of the Old Republic comics

Freedom


The Summer I Wasn't Me


Morning is a Long Time Coming


The Torchkeeper series: The Raising


Galaxy of Fear series

Shadow of the Empire

basically ALL THE STAR WARS (I hope to get to the Thrawn trilogy maybe?? :D)

Skyward 

The Hive

Beren and Luthien

Emma (reading this one now!)


Persuasion 

Sense and Sensibility


David Copperfield


Oliver Twist


The Way of Kings 


Mistborn 

Read the next books in the Angelfall series


Breadcrumbs 

The Farm 

Juliet Immortal


Bitter End 

Wintergirls 

6 Seconds to Life


Gone Gone Gone


Shadow on the Crown


Dark Space


A Winter's Tale

Measure for Measure

Twelfth Night

A Midsummer's Night Dream

Hippolytus 

Oedipus at Colonus 

Alcestis 

The Summer I Became a Nerd

Simon vs. The Homo Sapien Agenda 

The Kiss of Deception 

anything by Aeschylus 

Perfect Escape 

A Darker Shade of Magic 

The Stars are my Destination 

The Tragedy Paper 

Luna 

The Sky is Everywhere 

Between Shades of Gray

The Book Thief 

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue 

The Demon King 

The Warrior's Heir 

Go Ask Alice

If I Stay 

After 

Gone with the Wind 

Lessons from a Dead Girl

The Girl of Fire and Thorns

Poison Study

More Shakespeare plays in general




5 comments:

  1. You should get a job writing book reviews. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! Sounds like some good books you read this year and great that you could read so many! Got some cool books coming up too it looks like - hope you enjoy them and I will look forward to hearing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Mr Benjamin Lee service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to Mr Benjamin service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to this funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 5 working days just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% rate and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact this funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on { Lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete